CapeCodHistory.us home page, 19th Century Mass. literature, genealogy, Deyo intro
posted October 2004
revised July 2006
Harwich history and situation
History of Barnstable County, Massachusetts
edited by Simeon L. Deyo.
1890. New York: H. W. Blake & Co
part of CHAPTER XXV.
Edward B. Alien, born in 1823, is the second son of James, grandson of Seth, and great-grandson of John Allen. His mother was Bettie Baker. Mr. Allen followed the sea from 1837 to 1880, as master thirty-four years. He was married in 1846, to Mehitabel Doane. She died in 1878. They had four children: Susan D., Lora F., Ella and
James E., who was lost at sea. Mr. Allen was married again in 1882. to Mary E. Phillips. Mr. Allen's grandfather, Seth Allen, was a revolutionary soldier. He was discharged in New York at the close of the war and walked home, with the other privates, arriving before the officers, who rode their horses. Mr. Allen has the wills of his father, grandfather and great-grandfather. John Allen gave five acres each, under and around their several dwelling houses, to his four sons: William, Seth, Paine and Elisha.
Mark Allen, the carpenter, born in 1846, is a son of William and Marana (Small) Allen, and grandson of William and Tabitha (Kelley) Allen. Since October, 1886, he has had charge of the Harwich town farm. He was married in 1876, to Lizzie, daughter of James Scott.
Joseph N. Atkins, son of Prince and Betsey (Nickerson) Atkins, and grandson of Thomas and Tabitha Atkins, was born in 1844. He followed the sea from 1855 to 1879, and since that time has been engaged in cranberry culture. He was married in 1869, to Clara, daughter of Alvin and Clarissa (Young) Cahoon. They have two children: J. Berlie and Alice May.
James C. Baker, born in 1860, is a son of James, grandson of James and great-grandson of Anthony Baker. Mr. Baker is a machinist by trade. He opened a grocery store at North Harwich in 1886, and since 1888 he has been the postmaster there. He was married in 1886, to Annie L. Taylor. Their son, Benjamin, was born in 1887.
Joseph G. Baker, born May 23, 1842, is a son of Joseph O. and a grandson of Joseph, whose father was Anthony Baker. Mr. Baker has been a mariner since 1856, and since 1863 has been master. He was married in 1869, to Abbie F. Nickerson. They have five children: Orlando N., Abbie S., Josephine R., Phineas O. and Walter N.
Ozias C. Baker was a son of Isaiah and grandson of Isaiah Baker. He was married to Data K., daughter of Elijah Chase. She died in 1886, leaving one son, William P., born June 13, 1866, married in 1885, to Lura B. Bisbee, and has one son, Ozias C., jr.
Theophilus B. Baker, born in 1830, is a son of Joseph and Catherine (Ellis) Baker, and grandson of Anthony Baker. He was a mariner from the age of eleven to thirty-six years. He was married in 1852, to Camelia H. Allen. They have two children: Theophilus B., jr., and K. Florence.
Alvin N. Bassett, son of Ephraim and Reliance (Nickerson) Bassett, and grandson of Daniel and Joanna Bassett, was born in 1836. He followed the sea until 1878, and has since been engaged in cranberry culture. He was married in 1858, to Emily, daughter of Patrick F. Cahoon. They have one son, Alvin H., who has been postmaster, station agent and merchant at Pleasant Lake since 1883.
John F. Bassett, son of John A. and grandson of Josiah Bassett,
was born in 1856. He has been carpenter for the Old Colony Railroad Company for two years. He was married in 1878, to Deborah, daughter of Carmi H. and Deborah Ann (Bassett) Nichols, who died in 1862. They have one daughter, Sarah J. Mr. Nichols married for his second wife Susan S., daughter of Josiah Bassett, jr. Mr. Nichols went to sea until 1872. Since 1873 he has been carpenter for the Old Colony Railroad Company.
Benjamin F. Bee, son of Isaac and Mercy (Nickerson) Bee, and grandson of Isaac Bee, was born in 1825, and is a machinist by trade. In 1886 he built a shop near his residence. He has made several important inventions, such as the safety section boiler, the relief tap, universal button fastener, a cranberry picker, and others. He was engineer in the Union navy from 1862 to 1865. He was married in December, 1848, to Amelia S., daughter of Zebina H. Small. They have had three children: Isaac N. (deceased), Benjamin F., jr., and Amelia S.
Henry C. Berry, born in 1833, is a son of James and Basheba (Nickerson) Berry, and grandson of Judah Berry. He began going to sea in 1842, continuing until 1885, and was master twenty-six years. He was married in 1884, to Mrs. Marinda N. Berry, daughter of Freeman Smith.
Obed Brooks, jr.—Beriah Broadbrooks, the ancestor of the Broadbrooks and Brooks family, was a settler after 1700. He was twice married. His first wife was Abigail Severance, daughter of Joseph and Martha Severance, to whom he was married November 17, 1700. She died about 1742. He died after 1762. He had, it is certain, nine cildren, viz.: John, Martha, Joseph, Beriah, Maria, Ebenezar, William, Desire and Mary.
Ebenezar Broadbrooks, the son, born in 1717, married Lydia Smalley, daughter of Jonathan and Damaris Smalley, in 1747, and settled upon the spot where the house of the late Ezekiel Wentworth stands, where his father Beriah had resided. He removed in the latter years of his life to the house of his son, Ebenezar, standing a few rods eastward of the Brooks' mansion, on the south side of the road, where he died in the eight-sixth year of his age, April 20, 1802. His wife, Lydia, died March 3, 1802, in her sevety-eighth year. They were both members of the Congregational church, he uniting in 1766, the first year of Mr. Mill's pastorate. He had six children: Hannah, who married Daniel Chase; Ebenezar, born December 19, 1750; Eleanor, who married Benjamin Hall; Lydia, who married Nathaniel Robbins; Nathan; and Sylvia, who married first Nehemiah Nickerson, and 2d Benjamin Nickerson.
Ebenezar Broadbrooks, the son of Ebenezar and Lydia Broadbrooks, born in 1750, was a man of prominence. He was selectman
of the town twenty years, representative six years, justice of peace twenty-five years, postmaster sixteen years, and parish clerk and treasurer many years. He married Tamesin Hall, daughter of Seth and Elizabeth Hall, February 2, 1775. He first resided on the south side of the road where his father died; but building a house on the opposite side of the road, upon the farm he purchased of Samuel Ellis in 1798, he there resided until his death, which took place February 4, 1828. His wife, Tamesin, died January 1, 1828. Mr. Broadbrooks and family took the name of Brooks by legislative enactment in 1806. He was the principal merchant in town for many years before 1800. His children by wife Tamesin, were: Naomi, who married Calvin Gifford; Ruth, who married John Hall; Obed; Roxana, who married Ebenezar Weekes, jr.; Asenath, who married Levi Snow; Tamesin, who died unmarried in 1807; Lucy, who married Enoch E. Harding; Ebenezar; Seth; and Sabra, who married Benjamin K. Hall.
Obed Brooks, son of Ebenezar and Tamesin Brooks, was born January 27, 1781, and married for his first wife, Sally, daughter of Ebenezar and Barbara Weekes in 1807. She died December 21., 1836. He married for his second wife, Asenath, widow of Captain Theophilus Burgess, June 23, 1839. He died August 4, 1856. His children by wife Sally were: Sidney, born November 14, 1807, died July 11, 1809; Obed, born August 21, 1809; Roxana, born March 5, 1811, married Stephen G. Davis; Sidney, born April 5, 1813, who married Susan S. Whittaker, and died in Boston, March 25, 1887; a daughter January 10, 1816, died January 24, 1816; Harriet N., born May 10, 1817, died April 3, 1876: Tamesin; and a son, Gem, born February 3, 1821, the latter of whom died soon; Henry Cobb, born May 16, 1824, died in Boston, May 28, 1886, a well known merchant; Sarah Godfrey, born January 2'7, 1827; and a daughter born November, 1832, who died soon after. By his second wife, Asenath, he had one son, Horace, who was lost at sea while master of the bark Aurelia, in 1874, leaving a wife and children. Of the members of Mr. Brooks' large family only Miss Tamesin and Sarah G. Brooks survive. Like his father, Mr. Brooks was a man of prominence. He held many official positions in the town and county. He was town clerk and treasurer twenty-six years, postmaster from 1821 to 1856, justice of the peace thirty-five years, and many years inspector of the port of Harwich. He was county commissioner from the establishment of the office in 1828 to 1837. Mr. Brooks and wife, Sally, were both members of the Congregational church. In politics he was of the Jeffersonian school, as was his father.
Obed Brooks, son of Obed and Sally Brooks, whose engraved likeness appears on the opposite page, was born in Harwich, August 21, 1809. Deciding upon entering the mercantile business, he went to
Boston in April, 1826, and entered as a clerk, the store of Thompson & Willey, No. 57 Long wharf. With them he remained until 1830, when he became a deputy wharfinger, on Long wharf, under Elijah Loring. Here he remained until 1831, when he entered business at No. 57 Long wharf, with Thomas Rand, under the firm of Rand & Brooks. They dissolved partnerships in 1833, when Mr. Brooks returned to his native village, and entered his father's store, and commenced business under the firm of Obed Brooks & Co. He relinquished the business in 1856, to become the cashier of the Bank of Cape Cod, just established, and also treasurer of the Cape Cod Five Cents Saving's Bank then going into operation. Mr. Brooks retired from his position in the former, which had now become the Cape Cod National Bank, in 1865, and from his position in the latter in 1880. He was appointed one of the commissioners to examine Cape Cod harbor in 1852, and the same year by Governor Boutwell, was appointed commissioner of the Mashpee Indians.
He was elected in 1852 town clerk and treasurer, but held the offices only one term. He was postmaster four years, succeeding his father in 1854. He held the offices of justice of the peace' and notary public many years. He was the efficient clerk and treasurer of the Congregational society for nearly a quarter of a century. In all the movements for public improvements in the town he took an active part. The erection of the church edifice in the village, in 1832, and its renovation in 1854, the establishment of the two banks in 1855, and the extension of the railroad from Yarmouth were largely due to his influence, and determined and persistent effort.
He married for his first wife Miss Clementine Guigon, daughter of Peter Guigon at Boston, January 22, 1836. She was a native of Montauban, France. She died at Harwich, June 14, 1847. For his second wife, he married Susan Dodge of Harwich, daughter of Dr. Franklin Dodge. His daughter, Mary Frances, born September 13, 1837, married Rev. James McLean in 1864, and died in the same house in which she was born, October 9, 1887, leaving five children: Helen C., James Walter, Henry B., Lewis G. and Ralph D. Mr. Brooks died November 18, 1882.
Freeman E. Burgess, son of Freeman E. and Theresa (Small) Burgess and grandson of Michael Burgess, was born in 1836, and began going to sea at the age of seven years. From 1857 to 1879 he was master mariner. He was married in 1857 to Laura F., daughter of Joseph C. and Betsey Berry of Harwich.
Rufus P. Butler8 was born in 1843. He is the eldest son of Lorenzo7 and Mary Ann (Pease) Butler and grandson of Freeman6 (Daniel5, Gamalie14, John3, Captain John2, Nicholas Butler1). Mr. Butler followed the sea from 1857 to 1887 in the fishing and merchant
service, excepting three years (1864-5-6), when he was in the United States navy. Since 1887 he has been a fruit grower and farmer. He was married in 1873 to Huldah P., daughter of Isaac G. and Huldah Eldridge. Their daughter is Sarah E. S.
Cyrus Cahoon, Esq., whose engraved likeness is presented on the opposite page, was born in the eastern part of Harwich January 21, 1810. His business career was commenced on the seas at the age of eleven years. By activity and perseverance he soon rose to the command of a vessel, but after many years in seafaring business he retired and engaged in business at home, in which he has been very successful. The cranberry culture has engaged his attention since 1847, the year in which he began to set vines, and by close attention he has become one of the most successful cranberry growers in the county. Besides attending to his cranberry land he has found time to devote his attention to other affairs. He was for many years in the wood business, a number of years an auctioneer, real estate agent and justice of the peace, and was for twenty-one years officially connected with the Cape Cod Five Cents Savings Bank. He was one of the commissioners appointed in 1871 to examine and define the boundaries of all lands rightfully held by individual owners in the town of Mashpee, and properly describe and set forth the same in writing, with authority to divide and sell at public auction the common lands, excepting meadow and hay land: also one of the commissioners appointed in 1878 to divide the proceeds of the sale of public lands of said town among those entitled to the same, and also one of the commissioners appointed in 1882 to divide the meadow and hay ground among those desiring portions, and sell the remaining portion at public auction, and divided the proceeds among those entitled to receive the same. He has now retired from business life, in which he has been so long actively and successfully engaged.
Mr. Cahoon married Lettice Cahoon, daughter of James and Lettice (Bassett) Cahoon, July 20, 1830. To them have been born nine children, viz.: Cyrus, who died in infancy; Lettice M., born July 26, 1833, who married Joshua Maker: Cyrus C., born October 24, 1835, who married Mary Walker of Brewster November 28, 1856; Cyrenius B., born November 30, 1837, who married Lucy F. Snow of Brewster, and died January 1, 1860; Clement A., born May 25, 1839, who married Emma L. Rodman, July 31, 1865; Chester F., born January 29, 1841, who was lost overboard from the ship Amos Lawrc7zcc off Cape Horn, October 18, 1860; Letitia P., born March 21, 1845, and Lucretia D., born June 19, 1848, who married Paddock Small, April 7, 1880, and died June 29, 1889. Mrs. Cahoon, the mother, born January 9, 1808, and the only living member of her father's large family, yet survives in feeble health.
Mr. Cahoon is descended from William Cahoon, an early settler of the town, who resided near or on the spot where the house of the late Allen Kenney stood, and who died in 1768, leaving his wife Sarah and five sons and four daughters. His youngest son, Reuben, born about 1737, had two sons, Jesse and John. Jesse Cahoon, his son. born March 10, 1763, married Thankful Bassett of Chatham in 1781. by whom he had seven children. After her death he married the widow of his brother John, and resided in south Barnstable, where he died in June, 1830. His second son, Simeon, born January 14, 1785, married Priscilla Linnell, daughter of Thomas of Orleans, January 21, 1802, and had seven children. Their third child and second son is the Cyrus Cahoon of this sketch.
Emulous A. Cahoon, born in 1848, is a son of Alvan and grandson of James and Lettice Cahoon. He has three brothers and one sister: Samuel S., Benjamin G., James F. and Clara. Mr. Cahoon followed the fishing business until 1876, and since then has been engaged in cranberry culture. He was married in 1876, to Lucy F., daughter of Eben Eldridge, jr. They have two children: Eva A. and Herbert R.
Patrick H. Cahoon, born in 1843, is a son of Patrick F. and Anna (Small) Cahoon, and grandson of James Cahoon. Mr. Cahoon is engaged in cranberry culture and land surveying. He married Eliza K. Paine, who died leaving two children: Clenric H. and Oscar J. His second marriage was to Carie A. Woodward. They have two children: Harry S. and Eliza E.
Job Chase.—This family name, originating in this country with William Chase of Yarmouth, in 1640, has been prominent in every industry of the Cape. We find one Job Chase a settler in the southwest part of Harwich soon after the middle of the last century, owning the entire tract of land from the river near the present Erastus Chase's store, westward to the Dennis line. Here he reared a large family and here he died at the advanced age of ninety-seven yea,rs. He was actively engaged in fishing and agriculture, leaving to his posterity an ample inheritance and those peculiar business traits that have been so marked in the lives of his descendants.
Job Chase, the subject of this sketch, was one of his sons. He was born August 8, 1776, at the ancestral home, near which, on the west bank of the river, he subsequently reared a home, where he died January 12, 1865. The limited means for obtaining an education in his boyhood were scarcely improved when he embarked upon his business career, in which he must rely upon a retentive memory and a keen perception for his measure of success. He engaged in a fishing and mercantile business in which he attained a
high point among those of the south shore, owning the controlling interest in as many as fifteen vessels at a time. In 1831 he erected, on the river, a store which was used by him and his sons until a few years ago, and in this he kept the first post office of West Harwich. In 1842 he built the wharf which is still in use, and also built the schooner Job Chase, of eighty-five tons, from timber cut upon his own lands, lands now robbed of their trees, but where, before his time, his father, Job, had also cut the timber for vessels which he built there. Other vessels were built for his use at Hamden, Me., and at Dartmouth. In his fishing business he fitted out a large fleet.
He was largely interested in public affairs, also in affairs of the church, and in both was an important factor. He served his town as a selectman, and was a representative from Harwich in the legislature. In the erection of the West Harwich Baptist church he was a large contributor, continuing' substantial material and spiritual aid during his life. He was one of the original stockholders in the old Yarmouth bank, and was among the foremost in all the public enterprises of his day, giving employment to a large number of men 'in building up the interests of West Harwich. In his death the town sustained a severe check to its growing business and a great loss in its social and religious circles.
He was first married to Polly Eldridge, who died May 26, 1816, leaving nine children: Hope, born May 4, 1797, married Isaiah Baker of Dennis, and had nine children: Isaiah, David, James, Ozias, George, Mary, Maria, Sarah and Daniel W. Of these Isaiah, James and Sarah are dead.
Job, the eldest son, born January 12, 1799, married Hannah Nickerson, and as a shipmaster was lost at sea, leaving two children: Job and Ellen, the latter only surviving.
Jonathan, born October 14, 1800, married Hannah Burgess, and while acting as master was lost at sea, leaving four children: Jonathan, Rebecca, Phoebe and Mary, the last two surviving.
Sears, who was born August 2, 1802, married Ann Knowles, and as master was lost at sea, leaving a daughter, Ann, who, with her mother, long ago departed this life.
Ozias, the fifth child, born January 22, 1804, was lost at sea while in command of a vessel.
Whitman, born August 20, 1806, was also lost at sea.
Darius, born November 11, 1808, married Annie Meriman. He and his wife, with their children, Darius and Lilla, now reside at West Harwich. He is by occupation a restorer of oil paintings.
Ziba, born May 12, 1811, became a mariner, and was lost at sea.
Judah E. was born March 6, 1813. He married Emily Fish, and is a retired merchant of Harwich. Their only child is Frederick W.
For his second wife Mr. Chase married Phebe Winslow, who died August 25, 1839. There children were: Joseph W., Alfred, Mary E.. Joshua S., Erastus, Joshua S., Caleb, and a daughter who died in infancy. Mr. Chase was again married, his wife being Eunice Drurey, who died in 1863. The succeeding seven paragraphs, include brief histories of the children of the second marriage.
Joseph W., born May 6, 1817, married Rose Kelley. and resides at West Harwich. He chose the occupation of a farmer, in which he is prominent. His only child is Phebe W.
Alfred was born March 28, 1819, and married Azubah Taylor. Of their five children, Cora, Helena and Emma survive; the deceased are Eunice the eldest, and Alfred the youngest.
Mary E., born April 27, 1822, married Captain George Nickerson, now a retired sea captain of South Dennis. Their children are: Erastus, Phebe W., George and Arthur, their daughter Nellie having died young.
Joshua S. was born June 23, 1724, and died in boyhood, the parents perpetuating the name by conferring it upon a later born son.
Erastus, born May 29, 1826, married Sarah Abbie Trevette, and of their four children Frank E. and Herbert T. survive, and reside at Grand Rapids, Mich. The second son, Job, died in infancy, and the third son, also named Job, died quite young. Erastus Chase is in mercantile business at West Harwich near Herring river—a continuation in part of his father's business—having kept the post office twenty-four years and acted as deputy collector of internal revenue a period of four years.
Joshua S., born February 24; 1830, married Abbie E. Fish. and has had two children—Lizzie and Willis, the latter now deceased. Joshua S. Chase originated the manufacturing firm known as the Union Paste Company of Boston, which is continued by his son-in-law, Anthony Kelley. The wonderful fish product called Chase's Liquid Glue has become celebrated.
Caleb Chase, the youngest survivor of the seventeen children of Job Chase, whose portrait appears here, was born December 11, 1831. He married Salome Boyles, and not content with the opportunities offered in the business of his ancestors, at the age of twenty-three went to Boston, where he entered the employ of Anderson, Sargent & Co., a leading wholesale dry-goods house. He traveled in the interests of this house on the Cape and in the West until September, 1859, when he connected himself with the grocery house of Claflin. Allison & Co., which connection was severed January 1, 1864, and soon after the firm of Carr, Chase & Raymond was formed. It 1871 the firm of Chase, Raymond & Ayer was organized, which existed until 1878, when the present firm of Chase & Sanborn commenced
business. Mr. Chase is now the head of this house, than which save one other, there is no larger concern in the coffee trade in America. They have branch houses in Montreal and Chicago. He owns the homestead at West Harwich where his summer vacations are spent.
Wilson W. Cole, son of Daniel and Mercy (Higgins) Cole, was born in 1844 in Eastham, and is a blacksmith by trade. He has owned and run a blacksmith shop at Harwich Port since 1870. He was married in 1869, to Hannah M. Flinn. They have two children: Ernest L. and Alton S.
William F. Crapo, born June 28, 1848, in New Bedford, Mass., is a son of Squire G. and Hannah (Devoll) Crapo, and grandson of John Crapo, of Fall River, Mass. Mr. Crapo came to Harwich, July 8, 1865, where he has since dealt in old iron and paper stock. He was married January 28, 1868, to Mrs. Mary C. Crowell, daughter of Seth Cahoon, who was a son of Seth and grandson of Seth Cahoon. They had one son, William F., jr., who died.
Henry T. Crosby, born in 1845, in Orleans, is a son of Joshua and grandson of Joshua, who was a naval officer in the war of 1812, and was with Commodore Perry at Lake Erie. He was with Commodore Hull when he took the Guerriere, and also with him when chased by the British fleet off the coast of New Jersey. Mr. Crosby's mother was Thankful, daughter of Abijah and Thankful Baker, of Orleans. Mr. Crosby opened marble and granite works at Harwich in 1873, having been a marble and granite worker for seven years prior to that time. He was married in 1870, to Eliza D. Snow. They have three boys: Wilfred H., Bertram D. and Orwell S.
Anthony S. Crowell6, born in 1837, is a son of Gross5 (Solomon4, Gross3, Jabez2, John Crowell1). Mr. Crowell followed the sea as a fisherman for twenty-five years prior to 1874. He is now engaged in cranberry culture. , He was married in 1858, to Senora, daughter of Bangs Nickerson. They have three children: Anthony E.. Senora E. and Everett L. They lost one.
Sheldon K. Crowell, born in 1837, is the only surviving child of Sheldon, and grandson of Shubael Crowell. His mother was Cordelia Kelley. He has been engaged in the mercantile trade since 1862. Prior to that he followed the sea. He was married in 1858, to Thankful B. Allen. Their children are: Joseph A., Ella K. and Ada S.
Nathaniel Doane, esquire.— This is a family name which for more than two hundred years has frequently recurred in the civil, business, political and ecclesiastical history of southeastern Massachusetts. In the old town of Eastham lived Dea. John Doane, and there he died in 1686, at the age of ninety-six years. Branches of this family are found in the early history of the towns from Truro to Falmouth, and the name at least is still more widely represented in other parts of New England.
The children of Dea. John Doane, so far as is known, were: John, Daniel, Lydia, Abigail and Ephraim. The second of these, Daniel Doane, was born in 1636, and until his death, December 20, 1721, resided in that part of Eastham which is now Orleans. He was twice married, and reared sons and daughters. He bore, as his father had, the title of deacon, and after him his son Joseph, who was born in 1668, received the same insignia of ecclesiastical prominence. This Deacon Joseph married Mary Godfrey, January 8, 1690, and for his second wife Desire Berry. in 1727. He settled in what is now Orleans, where he was a distinguished man in the affairs of town and county, and where he died July 27, 1757. To trace all his descendants through his twelve children would be foreign to our present purpose, but to that line which is now known in Harwich, where the family name is represented, more than a passing mention should be given. His son Elisha, born February 3, 1705-6, married Elizabeth Sparrow, March 14, 1732-3, and removed to Harwich about 1746. He resided southeasterly from the dwelling house of Captain Nathaniel Doane, near the west side of the lowland. He occupied public positions in Harwich, was selectman and parish assessor a number of years, and died, "much lamented," of a fever, August 1, 1765, aged sixty years. He had six children.
Elisha Doane, his only son, born in Eastham September 9, 1744, married Mehitable Nickerson, October 18, 1764, and died December 26, 1805. He was the grandfather of the three Doane brothers, Valentine, Nathaniel and Abiathar, who represent the oldest surviving generation in the town of Harwich. Their father, one of the seven children of Elisha Doane, was Nathaniel Doane. who was born August 13, 1781, and married Mary Paine, daughter of Nathaniel and Sally Paine, December 25, 1803. He was a master mariner in early life, and held the offices of selectman and justice of the peace, and died July 24, 1866. His wife died October 17, 1871, aged eighty-eight. Their children are: Valentine, born July 20, 1804, married Lydia Nickerson; Mehitable. born September 21, 1806, married Cyrus Weekes, September 25, 1826, and died August 31, 1877; Sally Young, born November 17, 1808, married Isaiah C. Kelley, January 24, 1833; Mary, born March 3,. 1813, married Nehemiah D. Kelley, October 8, 1832; Elbridge G., born September 20, 1813, married Temperance Kelley, October 8, 1835: Nathaniel, born February 1, 1816; Priscilla, born May 14, 1818, married Anthony Kelley, jr.; Abiathar, born August 16, 1820; Eglantine, born November 1, 1822. married Benjamin F. Chase, April 30, 1843.
The family name has been thus perpetuated through generations which have each in turn maintained it as it came to them, and these of to-day are transmitting it to their children, all descendants of Dea. John Doane, of Eastham.
Nathaniel Doane, born February 1, 1816, whose likeness and autograph appear on the opposite page, is a well known and respected citizen of Harwich. He received his education in the public schools of his neighborhood, and went to sea at the age of sixteen years. He soon rose to the command of a vessel, and continuing in the coasting trade, winters excepted, until 1860, he retired from sea life altogether, and commenced the culture of cranberries, in which he is now quite actively engaged. During his business career on the sea, he found time, besides teaching winter schools. which he did for twelve winters, to serve his townsmen in the legislature and on the school board. In 1850, while at sea, his political friends of the whig party, well assured of his ability to represent his town in the legislature, elected him a representative, and he took his seat in the house of 1851, which was distinguished for its able members, and memorable on account of the part it took in the election of Hon. Charles Sumner, the coalition candidate for United States senator, after a long contest in the face of determined opposition. He was elected to the house of 1852, and again to the house of 1853, thus serving three consecutive terms. In 1858 he was again brought forward for legislative honors by the republicans, and elected representative from his district, which embraced the towns of Yarmouth, Dennis, Harwich and Chatham. and took his seat in the legislature of 1859. He has held the office of commissioner to qualify civil officers, and has been a justice of the peace for more than forty years. In ecclesiastical matters he has taken a deep interest. He has been clerk and treasurer of his parish sixteen years. He is a member of Pilgrim church, Harwich Port, and has been one of its deacons since its organization in 1855.
Mr. Doane married Mrs. Zilpha Harding, of Maine, widow of Joshua Harding, and daughter of Nathan and Mary Doane, and granddaughter of Bangs Doane, in 1862, and has three children: Mary L., born September 10, 1863; Nathaniel, born September 25, 1865; and Jennie B., born October 18, 1869. The son, Nathaniel, was married June 26, 1889, to Ella F. Brigham, of Manchester, S. H., where they now reside. Airs. Doane, by her former husband, has one son, Joshua Orlo Harding, born November 7, 1850, married Emma L. Hall, and resides in Boston.
Valentine Doane, of Harwich Port, is the brother of Dea. Nathaniel Doane, to whose biography the reader is referred for the ancestry of the subject of this sketch. He was born July 20, 1804. At the age of fourteen he commenced life on the sea and at his majority was in command, which position he continued very successfully, in various vessels, for the ensuing twenty years.
He was married January 95, 1827, to Lydia Nickerson, who died March 22, 1880, aged seventy-one years, eight months and ten days.
Their children were: Lydia N., Valentine, jr., Julia F., Irene T.. Ambrose N., Eglentine, Enos N., Celia F. and Harrison N.
Lydia S., born October 20, 1829, married Edwin R. Chase, December 11, 1849, who died leaving two daughters, one of whom is still living, and is the wife of Willis G. Myers, and has two children. Mrs. Chase subsequently married Dr. C. M. Hulbert, of South Dennis, and died in 1885.
Valentine Doane, jr., born April 17, 1833, spent a few years in early life on the sea, and at seventeen entered the store of his father. where he continued seventeen years. He served as justice of the peace twelve years of this time, and declines further office. He is now engaged in cranberry culture, and is general agent of the Acme Heel Trimmer Company. He was married June 19, 1856, to Susan M., a daughter of Shubael and Sarah (Kent) Kelley, born at Eaton, Madison county, N. Y., April 25, 1805, and was a descendant of that illustrious family. She was born July 7, 1836. Their children are: Victoria A. and Frederick V. Victoria, born March 16, 1858, married December 7, 1880, Edward C. Matthews, of Portsmouth, N. H., and has four children.
Mr. Doane's third child, Julia F., was born May 22, 1835, and died May 7, 1839.
Irene T., born July 23,1837, married Emulous Small, November 12, 1856, and resides in the same village with her father and brother.
Ambrose N. was born November 22, 1839, and married Martha S. Foster, November 24, 1860.
Eglentine, born April 24, 1842, was married January 8. 1863, to Thomas A. Nickerson, and their children are: Adison D., Thomas H., Ambrose N. and Eglantine.
Enos N., born January 5, 1846, died September 14, 1847.
Celia F., born May 17, 1848, was married December 16, 1880, to Frank T. Spencer.
Harrison N., born May 19, 1851, died March 6, 1853.
On the 26th of January, 1881, Valentine Doane, the subject of this sketch, married Mrs. Charlotte E. Long, daughter of Rev. J. R. Munsell, and is spending the evening of his active life in his pleasant home in Harwich Port. But few have been more conspicuous in business affairs and the building up of his community. As early as 1828, under Governor Lincoln, he was appointed captain of state militia, was for fifteen years director of the Harwich and Dennis Marine Insurance Company, and was president of the Harwich Marine Insurance Company during its existence. He was a director in the County Insurance Company for thirty years, and during the twenty-five years he was a director of the National Bank of Yarmouth he was seldom absent from the weekly meetings. In 1845 he commenced the fishing business
as owner and outfitter, which he continued many years, and has thus been identified in the welfare of the village in its every relation.
Captain Abiathar Doane.—The careful reader of the two preceding articles already knows how the Doane family of Harwich have descended from the sturdy deacon who, in 1644, planted the family tree in old Eastham, and at page 871 the name Abiathar appears as the youngest son of Nathaniel and Mary (Paine) Doane, born August 16, 1820. His birthplace is the old homestead near which he now resides, and from which he went out to get, at school and at sea, his education. At the age of fifteen he commenced coasting, and the year that he attained his majority he had the command of a vessel destined for Chagres, South America, from whence he carried a load of passengers to Kingston, Jamaica. After the first voyage as master he owned more or less interest in the vessels he commanded. and for twenty-five years he continued in foreign voyages. without accident, never during the time calling upon the underwriters for a dollar's damage. He was at Galveston, Texas, when the confederates hauled down the stars and stripes, and those on board his vessel heard his loyal prophecy: "That flag will have its resurrection." He assisted in the war of the rebellion, and among other important commissions entrusted to him was the transportation of the gun known as The Swamp Angel, which, with a load of stores for the government forces, was carried from New York to South Carolina. In 1866 he left the sea, but kept an interest in coasting and fishing vessels until a few years ago.
Captain Doane was married May 23, 1845, to Abigail, daughter of Edward and Abigail Sears. Their children are: Abiathar Doane, jr., of Chelsea, who married M. Louisa Robinson, and has one son, Carlton; a daughter, Abigail B., who, after completing her school education, became proficient in music, and began teaching with great success in Harwich and adjoining towns, continuing the study of music and harmony and acting as organist in the Catholic church at Woods Holl, still living at home with her parents; and another daughter, Priscilla S., who married George R. Fogg of Boston, and whose children are Catherine and Preston Fogg. Mrs. Doane died July 20, 1855, and May third of the following year the captain married Mercy C. Rogers, daughter of David Eldridge of Chatham. She lived until October 10, 1862, when she died in New York. Their children, Mercy Louisa and Arthur F., died in infancy. The present Mrs. Doane— married April 10, 1863—is Josephine, daughter of Paul Higgins of Orleans, and their four children were: Paul Doane, now at Milford in the employ of Swift Brothers; Ralph W., with the electric light company, Boston; Lillian Josephine, with her parents at home, and Irene Thacher, who died September 9, 1884, aged nine years.
In 1847 Captain Doane purchased the acres of his present homestead, erecting the residence, which he has at times added to and remodeled into its present form of convenience and beauty. Before he left the sea he began the culture of cranberries, and now, with nine acres under the best of cultivation, he is ranked among the successful growers. When he had his first plants set he departed widely from the custom of the day, and was laughed at for his pains, but his plan has been followed by all successful growers. The idea of setting out large hills, eighteen inches apart, he condemned, and was the first to set only two or three sprigs in a hill, placing the hills much closer together. He was the first to make a specialty of the cultivation of early black, and has no other. He has largely sold and introduced this vine.
His life long interest in the affairs of the town and the Commonwealth, has never degenerated into a selfish thirst for official honors, nor diverted his attention from his own legitimate vocations. He has served in arbitrations and was elected to the legislature in 1866, which term he filled so acceptably that he was reelected for 1867 without opposition. He attends the Congregational church and renders aid to its support. His energy and caution, that made him successful on the sea, are his leading traits, through which in affairs on land his success is also assured. He has through life carried just sail enough to produce the most satisfactory results, while in his private life, where beauty or deformity of real character become most conspicuous, Captain Doane of Harwich is not found wanting..
Alliston S. Doane, son of Freeman and Azubah (Cole) Doane, and grandson of Lewis Doane, was born in the town of Orleans in 1858, and has been a harness maker at Harwich since 3881. He was married in 1882 to Lelia Maker. They have one son, Arthur P.
Anthony P. Doane, born in 1839, is a son of Calvin6 (Elisha5, Elisha4, Elisha3, Joseph2, Daniel Doane1). His mother was Bethany (Phillips) Doane. He has been master mariner since 1858, and since 1879 master of a steamer. He was married in 1867 to Rosealtha, daughter of Joseph and Betsey Snow. Their only daughter is Alice (Mrs. W. E. Keach).
Daniel Doane, son of Josiah, and grandson of Daniel Doane, was born in 1821, and went to sea from 1831 to 1875. He was master from 1846 until he retired on account of his health. He was married in 1847 to Hannah P., daughter of Isaac Kelley. They have one son living, David K., and have lost five children.
Joshua Doane, son of Josiah and Amy (Wixon) Doane, was born in 1824. He was a mariner from 1834 until 1888, and became master of a vessel at the age of twenty-one. He was married in 1845 to Eliza A. Baker, by whom he had two children; Mary E. and Eliza A., who
died. His second wife, was Lizzie A. Their children were: Linwood F.. Joshua F., Allen C. (deceased), Robert M., Lizzie M., Charles H. and Chester.
Lewis B. Doane, son of Uriel and Susan (Berry) Doane, and grandson of Joseph Doane, was born in 1838. He began going to sea at twelve years of age, and has been master mariner since 1861. He was married in 1862 to Araminta D., daughter of Isaac and Mercy (Nickerson) Bee. They have children: Mercy B., Lillian and Lewis B., jr.
Uriel Doane; born in 1866, is a son of Uriel, grandson of Joseph, and great-grandson of Elisha and Mehitabel (Nickerson) Doane. Mr. Doane went to sea from 1852 until 1882, as master twenty-three years. He was married in 1860 to Didama, daughter of Isaiah Kelley.
John H. Drum, son of Patrick and Ann (Clarking) Drum, was born in 1855. He has devoted considerable time to agriculture, and has kept a livery stable at Harwich since 1874. With his sister, Adelia M., he occupies the homestead of their father.
Joseph N. Eldridge, born in 1838, is the youngest son of Isaiah and Rebecca (Davis) Eldridge, grandson of Isaiah and Tamsen (Cahoon) Eldridge, and great-grandson of Thomas and Sarah (Gage) Eldridge. Mr. Eldridge followed the sea from 1847 to 1883. and has been engaged in the butter, cheese and lard business for three years. He was married in 1865 to Martha W., daughter of Nathan and Esther (Eldridge) Nickerson.
Rinaldo Eldridge, born August 23, 1838. is a son of Isaac G., grandson of Samuel and great-grandson of Bangs Eldridge. Mr. Eldridge worked as a carpenter in early youth, then kept a stable in Boston, later kept store at Harwich, and in 1880 he opened the Sea View House at Harwich Port, which he has since conducted. He has been twice married. By his first wife he had a son who died in infancy. By his present wife he has two daughters: Bertha Rinal and Hilda Ophelia.
Thomas R. Eldridge, born in 1853, is a son of Benjamin W., and grandson of Elijah Eldridge. His mother was Caroline, daughter of Laban Snow. In 1876 Mr. Eldridge engaged in the wholesale hay and grain business in Harwich as a member of the firm of Bakers & Eldridge. In 1880 Mr. Eldridge bought out the two Mr. Bakers, and since that time has continued the business alone. He was married in 1887 to Emma W., daughter of Watson B. Kelley.
William M. Eldridge, born in 1829, is a son of Samuel and Lydia (Tripp) Eldridge, and grandson of Isaac Eldridge. Mr. Eldridge is a painter by trade. He was married in 1851 to Hannah A., daughter of Jacob Crowell. Their two sons are: William A. and Jerry A. who keeps an apothecary store at South Harwich, and is a member of the class of April, 1890, in the Boston College of Physicians and Surgeons.
Zenas D. Eldridge, born in 1814, is a son of Zenas and grandson of Nathaniel, who was taken prisoner by an English man-of-war in the revolution, and was detained two years. His father was Jehosaphat Eldridge. Mr. Eldridge went to sea from 1828 to 1862, after which he kept a store at Harwich Port for a few years. He is now engaged in cranberry culture. He was married in 1838 to Elizabeth N.,. daughter of Stephen and Olive (Covil) Burgess, and granddaughter or Thomas and Elizabeth (Nickerson) Burgess. Their children are: Erastus B., Elizabeth A., Susan W., Olive B., Stephen B. and Jonathan A. Mrs. Eldridge's father, Captain Stephen Burgess, was a prominent citizens. He was second lieutenant of county militia, was engaged in an encounter at Barnstable and was successful in preventing the English from landing. He was selectman several years and did much public business. He was a shipmaster in foreign trade.
David Ellis, born in 1812, is a son of Nathan and Delana (Saunders) Ellis, and grandson of Nathan Ellis. He went to sea from 3824 to 1873, and was captain forty years. He was married in 1834 to Sally Smalley, who died leaving four children: Alverado, James, Aruna and Ruth, who has since died. He was married again in 1857 to Mrs. [?] Weekes, daughter of Samuel Eldridge. Their son is Adelbert
Nathan Ellis, son of Elisha and grandson of Nathan Ellis, was born in 1830, and followed the sea from 1837 to 1855. From that time until 1888 he was a merchant at Harwich. He was married in 1855, to Joan Eldridge. They have one son, Samuel A., who is a merchant at Harwich. He was married in 1873, to Lucy Robbins. She died in 1883, leaving two sons: Nathan A. and Edward A. He was married again in 1884, to Georgian B. Snow.
Warren Freeman8 was born in 1814. He is descended from Thomas7, John6, Jonathan5, Edmund4, Edmund3, Major John2, Edmund Freeman1, who came to this country in 1635. Mr. Freeman was married in 1837, to Priscilla Long. She died leaving two children: Thomas and one who since died. He was married in 1848, to Elizabeth, daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth (Allen) Weekes. They have three children: Rose I., Ambrose E. and Susan F. They lost two.
Nathaniel T. Gorham was born in 1823. He is a son of Joseph and Sally (Tripp) Gorham. His grandfather served in the revolution under General Washington. His mother was a daughter of Reuben and granddaughter of Acus Tripp. Mr. Gorham has been a house and ship painter in East Boston since 1844. He was married in 1850, to Sarah A., daughter of Isaiah Eldridge. They have two children living: Mary P. and Nathaniel T., jr.; they have lost five children. The last ten years Mr. Gorham has spent at his summer residence in South Harwich.
Alton P. Goss, son of F. B. Goss, was born in 1855 in Barnstable.
He has been engaged in the printing business since 1868. In 1873 he took charge of the Harwich Independent office, and since 1880 has owned and edited the paper. He is a member of the republican town committee. He was married in 1876, to Emma F. Taylor. They have one son, Edwin P.
Roger S. Hawes, born in 1848 in Chatham, is the youngest son of Samuel, grandson of Samuel Hawes and great-grandson of John Hawes. His mother was Betsey Harding. Mr. Hawes began going to sea at fourteen years of age, and since 1872 has been master of a vessel. He was married in 1871, to Gertrude, daughter of Job Kelley. They have two children: Edith S., born in October, 1872; and Mollie E., born in August, 1883.
Benjamin F. Hall. born in 1822, is a son of Freeman and grandson of Benjamin Hall. He went to sea from 1831 to 1874. He was married in 1842, to Hepsibeth, daughter of William and granddaughter of William Ryder. They have three children: Benjamin F., jr., Prince E. and Sarah F. The latter married Anthony H. Ryder, who was born in 1844, and is a son of Anthony K. and Mehitabel T. Ryder. They have one son, Herbert A. Mr. Ryder has been a wheelwright and blacksmith at North Harwich since 1876.
Belle K. Hoyt is a daughter of Ensign and a granddaughter of Jonathan and Mehitabel (Chase) Burgess. Her mother, Elizabeth, was the daughter of James and Betsey (Kendrick) Clark, and was beloved by all who knew her. Mrs. Hoyt was married in 1852, to Curtis Hoyt, who died at sea. He was first mate of the ship Oscar, of New Bedford, engaged in whale fishing. They have one daughter, Susan, who married Henry Young. Her daughters are Belle B. and Grace D. Young.
Cyrenus S. Hunt, born in 1850, is a son of Alfred and grandson of Ziba Hunt, whose father, Lemuel, was a son of Lemuel, who came from Shaftsbury, England, to Chatham. His mother was Asenith Ellis. He was married in 1883, to Cordia Megathlin, who died in 1886. In 1889 he was married to Margaret Watson, of Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Mr. Hunt is a member of the South Harwich Methodist Episcopal church, and was Sunday school superintendent five years.
Charles Jenkins, son of Wilson R. and Betsey (Small) Jenkins, was "born in 1827 in Falmouth. At the age of seventeen he began to learn the trade of boat-building, and since 1848 has been engaged in that business at Harwich. He was married in 1850, to Amanda, daughter of Freeman and granddaughter of Christian Nickerson. Her mother was Cynthia, daughter of James, granddaughter of James and great-granddaughter of Zebina Small. They have daughters: Amanda W. (Mrs. Edgar D. Kelley), Dora C. (Mrs. Charles A. Kelley) and Meta G.
Ensign L. Jerauld, born in 1834, is a son of James and Olive (Eldridge) Jerauld, and grandson of James and Hannah (Cash') Jerauld. Mr. Jerauld has been engaged in fishing since 1845, and since 1857 he has been captain of a fisherman. He was married in 1857, to Keziah N., daughter of Isaac and Bethia (Nickerson) Bearse. They have six children: Wilbert H., Myra E., E. Curtis, Ellen K., Oliver D. and Ermond G.
Asa L. Jones, son of Joseph B. and grandson of Asa Jones, was born in 1840. His mother was Love C. Robbins. Mr. Jones enlisted in the war of the rebellion in 1862, in Company A, Thirty-ninth Massachusetts Volunteers. In March, 1863, he was made sergeant, and in the fall of the same year he was commissioned second lieutenant in the Sixth Regiment U. S. Colored troops. He was discharged in September, 1864, on account of wounds. He was keeper in the government lightship and lighthouse service from 1870 to 1886. Since February, 1889, he has kept an undertaking store at Harwich. He was married in 1874, to Clara F. Paine. They have one son, Maro B.
Allen F. Joseph, youngest son of John and Tamsen (Allen) Joseph, was born in 1832, and followed the sea from 1846 to 1875. He was married in 1855, to Marietta S. Cahoon, who died ten years later. Their children were: Adelia E., Mary T., Samuel A. and Albert F., who was born September 25, 1862, and died May 8, 1876. He was married again in 1869, to Betsey C. Weekes5, descended from Isaac4, Isaac3, Ammiel2, Rev. George Weekes1.
Charles H. Kelley, born in 1838, is a son of Nehemiah D. and a grandson of Anthony Kelley. His mother was Esther, daughter of Sears Kelley. Mr. Kelley was postmaster at West Harwich from September, 1885, to July, 1889. He was married in 1862, to Elizabeth J. Chase. They have ten children: Anna F., Esther M., Lena E., Kate W., Nehemiah D., Hattie L., Charles H., jr., Walter W., Ada F. and Amy B. Mr. Kelley is secretary of Sylvester Baxter Chapter.
Nehemiah B. Kelley was born in 1848. He is the oldest son of Caleb R. and Cynthia K (Baker) Kelley, and grandson of Dea. Joseph Kelley, whose father and grandfather were both named Joseph. Mr. Kelley began going to sea at the age of eleven years, and has been captain since 1869. He was married in 1872, to Mary D., daughter of Jonathan and Sabra Young. They have four children: Sabra D., Emma R., Harold B. and Nehemiah B., jr.
Watson B. Kelly.—Patrick Kelley was the first of the surname who settled in Harwich. He came from Yarmouth, where he was born in 1723, and settled on the east side of Herring river near or on the spot where the. house of the late Sheldon Crowell stands. He built the water mill below his house on the river, known as the "Lower Mill," in or about 1762, and was the miller many years. He
was twice married. His last wife was widow Betsey Nickerson, whom he married in 1782. By his first wife, he had Patrick, Ebenezar, Samuel, Oliver and other children. His father was Eleazar Kelley; and his grandfather was Jeremiah Kelley, both of Yarmouth, where their ancestor, David Kelley, resided.
Patrick Kelley, the son, born in Harwich in 1753, married Dorcas Chase, daughter of Sylvanus and Charity Chase, and settled upon the Penney farm, which he purchased of Isaac Weekes in 1788. The house which he built and in which he resided until his death, is now occupied by Marshall Kelley, standing northwesterly from the Harwich railroad station, and is one of the oldest houses in town. He was a shipwright by trade. Among the vessels he built was the schooner Dorcas of this town, which was launched in 1817. He died October 28, 1834, aged eighty. His wife died April 13, 1834. He had eleven children—eight sons and three daughters.
Henry Kelley, the eldest son, born July 8, 1777, married for his first wife, Temperance Baker, daughter of Shubael Baker, December 4, 1800, by whom he had twelve children, six of whom yet survive, viz.: Relief Paine, Henry Kelley, Temperance Doane, Abigail Nickerson, Shubael B. Kelley and Watson B. Kelley. The mother died August 3, 1827, and for his second wife, Mr. Kelley married Lucinda Swift of Rochester, Mass., and had five children, of whom three only survive: George F., Alfred S. and Mary E. Allen. Mr. Kelley's second wife, Lucinda, died February 8, 1864. He died January 19, 1870, in his ninety-third year, having been in his usual good health up to within a few days of his death.
Watson B. Kelley, Esq., the youngest of the twelve children of Henry Kelley, by his wife Temperance, was born in Harwich, December 11, 1824. At the early age of eleven years he commenced the seafaring life, and at the age of eighteen years became master of a vessel. After an active life upon the sea, as master, he retired, in 1853, and at once engaged in the lumber and coal business at Harwich Port, with his elder brother, Henry, under the firm of Henry Kelley & Co., in which business he still continues. He is now largely engaged in cranberry culture, having in cultivation and under his management many acres. He has found time besides managing his own business, to serve his townsmen in official positions. In 1869 he became president of the Harwich Marine Insurance Company, and served ten years. He represented his district, comprising Harwich and Chatham, in the legislature of 1881 and 1882. He is now a selectman, assessor and overseer of the poor of Harwich, having held the offices for eighteen consecutive years; and also is holding the office of justice of the peace. In politics Mr. Kelley is an earnest republican. He married Rebecca D. Allen of Harwich, February 4, 1847. Their
children are: Rebecca E., born September 14,1851, died May 28,1870; and Emma W., born November 13, 1856, married Thomas R. Eldridge, a grain and flour dealer.
Mrs. Kelly's father was Captain Joseph Allen, who was lost at sea in September, 1837. Her mother was Thankful Burgess, daughter of Seth and Mary (Nickerson) Burgess, and granddaughter of Lieutenant Thomas Burgess, whose maternal grandfather was Ephraim Covel, of whom mention is made in the village history. Their children were: Rebecca D., born May 29, 1829; Pamelia H., born March 8, 1833, married Theophilus B. Baker; and Joseph, born November 6, 1836, died at St. Thomas, January 3, 1854.
Alonzo Kendrick, born in 1846, is a son of Jonathan and Anna (Doane) Kendrick, and grandson of Jonathan Kendrick. He followed the sea from 1859 to 1884, fishing and coasting. Since 1884, in company with George N. Bearse, he has carried on the fish and store business at South Harwich, which has been run since 1850 by Caleb Small. Mr. Kendrick was married in 1875 to Bethia, daughter of Caleb and Pamelia (Rogers) Small. They have one son, Bernard L.
Thomas D. Kenney, born in 1836, is a son of John, and grandson of John and Zylphia (Kendrick) Kenney. His mother was Polly, daughter of Thomas, and granddaughter of Joseph Doane. Mr. Kenney followed the fishing business until 1884, and has since "been engaged in agricultural pursuits. He was married in 1858 to Emily J., daughter of Warren Nickerson. Their children are: Arthur N., John A. and Louise A.
Gustavas H. Long, son of Elkanah, and grandson of Elkanah Long, was born in 1842. He followed the sea until 1879. Since IS87 he has been engaged in the grocery business in East Boston. He was married in 1863 to Ellen, daughter of Isaac and Ruth (Kelley) Small, granddaughter of Paddock, and great-granddaughter of Daniel Small. They have one son, Herbert H.
Charles E. Lothrop, born in 1845, is a son of Rev. Davis and Elizabeth (Freeman) Lothrop, grandson of Robert and Susan (Allen) Lothrop, and great-grandson of Ebenezer and Elizabeth (Davis) Lothrop. Mr. Lothrop is a paper hanger and house decorator. He was deputy collector of revenues at Dennis Port from April, 1887, to June, 1889. He owns and occupies the homestead where his father lived for forty-one years, prior to his death in 1889. Rev. Davis Lothrop was born in Barnstable November 28. 1804, and was a direct descendant of Rev. John Lothrop, the first settled minister of Barnstable. At the age of seventeen he learned the hatter's trade, and after working one year, connected himself with the Congregational church and began preparations for the ministry. He afterward retired from the Congregational society and was ordained as a Baptist preacher in the church 56
at West Harwich, December 10, 1828, and from that time until 1887, was pastor of some church in Barnstable county.
James Loveland, youngest son of David and Reliance (Small) Loveland, was born in South Harwich in 1841. He went to Boston in 1854, where he has since been engaged in house, ship and sign painting. For the past few years he has spent his summers in South Harwich. He was married in 1863 to Loretta, daughter of Joseph P. and Almira (Eldridge) Nickerson. Their children are: Harold, James W. and Charles M. N.
Elisha Mayo, born in 1844, is a son of Elisha and Reliance (Wixon) Mayo, and grandson of Elkanah and Rosana (Kelley) Mayo. He went to sea from 1853 to 1887. and was captain nineteen years. He was married in 1867 to Georgianna, daughter of Joseph C. Berry. She died in 1881 leaving one daughter, Jessie L. He was married in 1887 to Ida, daughter of Edward Smalley. They have a daughter, Lina A.
Samuel J. Miles, son of Samuel T. and Jerusha (Nickerson) Miles. was born in 1844. He began going to sea at the age of eleven, and was master at nineteen. From 1875 to 18S7 he was- in New York in the steamboat service. He was married in IF65 to Abalena, daughter of Jonathan Young.
James M. Moody9, born in 1859, is descended from James8, Samuel7, Samuel6, James5, Joshua4, Rev. Samuel3, Caleb2 and William Moody1, who came from England and settled in Maine. Mr. Moody is a carpenter by trade. Since 1884 he has dealt in lumber and builders supplies at Harwich. Since 1887 he has been in the ice business. He was married in 1881 to Anna L. Bassett. Mr. Moody, with his brother Sidney B., obtained a patent in 1888 on a railroad rail joint and in 1890 a patent on a cylindrical latch and lock.
William P. Nichols, son of James and Caroline (Chase) Nichols, was born in 1849. He has been employed on the track of the Old Colony railroad since 1870. He was married in 1872 to Sophia. daughter of Ozias and Deborah Bassett. They have three children: Eugene F., William H. and Charles F.
Cyrus Nickerson, born in 1831, is the eldest son of Alden, whose father, Alden, was a son of Bassett Nickerson. Mr. Nickerson went to sea from 1845 to 1873, and has since been engaged in the lumber and fishing business. He was married in 1854 to Dorothy Weekes8, (Benjamin F.7, Ebenezer6, Ammiel5, Rev. George4, Ammiel3, Ammiel2, George Weekes1). They have three children: Benjamin W., Louis and Malva.
James M. Nickerson, born in 1834, is a son of Michael and Sylvia (Eldridge) Nickerson and grandson of Benjamin Nickerson. Mr. Nickerson followed the sea until 1881. He was married in 1855 to Polly A., daughter of Simeon Baker. They have two sons: James F.
and William H. James F. was married in 1878 to Tamsen Bassett, and has four daughters. William H. was married in 1882 to Ida F. Nickerson, and has one son.
Joseph H. Nickerson, born in 1833. is a son of Zenas and Abigail (Higgins) Nickerson and grandson of Silas Nickerson. Mr. Nickerson followed the sea in the merchant service and fishing until 1870, and since that time has been engaged in boat fishing. He was married in 1859 to Martha A. Cahoon. She died in 1865, leaving two children: Joseph A. and Frank M. He was married again in 1866 to Sarah J. Coombs. Their children are: Ephielo Z., Marguerite K. and Emmie P. Mr. Nickerson owns and occupies the homestead of his father.
Mark F. Nickerson, born in 1821, is a son of Zepheniah and Betsey (Gorham) Nickerson and grandson of Bassett Nickerson. He went to sea from 1836 to 1871 in fishing and coasting vessels, as master the last thirty years. He has been tax collector in Harwich seven years and selectman two years. He was married in 1845 to Lucy, daughter of Jonathan Myrick. She died in March. 1889.
Stephen E. Nickerson, born in 1840, is the eldest son of Stephen and grandson of Seth Nickerson. His mother was Charity, daughter of Nathan Nickerson. Mr. Nickerson followed the sea from 1853 to 1876, and since that time has been engaged in the fish business. In 1877, with his father and two brothers—A. R. and A. E.—under the firm of S. Nickerson & Sons, he went from South Harwich to Booth Bay, Me., where they are carrying on an extensive fish business. Mr. Nickerson was married in 1867, to Emogene, daughter of Edward Smalley. They have three children: Rosa H., C. Dora and Carlton B.
Thomas A. Nickerson, born in 1841, is the eldest son of Joshua and Mercy E. (Small) Nickerson, grandson of Elkanah, and great-grandson of Phineas, who was a son of John Nickerson. Mr. Nickerson has been master mariner since 1868. He was married in 1563, to Eglentine, daughter of Valentine Doane. They have four children: Addison D., T. Hulbert, Ambrose N. and Eglantine.
Warren J. Nickerson was born in 1833. He is a son of Warren, whose father, Seth, was a son of Stephen, and grandson of Ebenezer, who was a descendant from William Nickerson. Mr. Nickerson was a school teacher for fifteen winters, and a member of the school board for several years. He was married in 1854, to Mary, daughter of Joshua and Rebecca (Nickerson) Atkins. They have seven children living: Joshua A., Albert E.. Ernest C., Oscar C., Thomas C., Geneva A. and Warren S. They lost five children.
Josiah Paine, mentioned at page 271, was born in Harwich, September 7, 1836. He is a descendant of Thomas Paine, of Eastham, of the seventh generation, and married Phebe A. Long of Harwich,
December 22, 1868. Of their children, Frederick W., was born January 18, 1875, and died June 23, 1875; Helen C. was born September 28, 1876, and died suddenly December 29, 1876; and John Howard was born May 30, 1883.
Joseph Raymond, born in 1832, is the eldest son of Peter Raymond, who was born in Portugal in 1810, came to Massachusetts in 1823, and died in 1885. Peter married Keziah, daughter of John Ellis. She was born in Dennis in 3812, and died in 1851. Their children were: Joseph, Peter T., Ensign R., Albert F. and Keziah. Joseph was married in 1851, to Laura, daughter of Josiah Doane. She died in 1883, leaving three children: Joseph W., born March 25, 1858, married to Mattie Crowell; Clara P., married Joseph L. Evens, and died January 12, 1888, and Jessie H., born January 19, 1870. Mr. Raymond was married October 11, 1885, to Mrs. Lowena Wixon, daughter of William Eldridge. They have one child, Clara B., born February 17, 1888. Mrs. Raymond has two children by her first husband: Lowena and Mary Wixon. Mr. Raymond followed the sea from 1841 to 1871. He has been station agent at North Harwich since 1877, and was postmaster from April, 1877, to October, 1888.
Benjamin F. Robbins, born in 1823, is a son of Freeman and Deborah (Mayo) Robbins, and grandson of Nathaniel Robbins. His father was twice married; first to Polly Nickerson, and second to Deborah Eldridge, a widow, whose maiden name was Mayo. Her father, Paul Mayo, went from Orleans to Chatham when he was seven years old. He lived there under the Great hill. and worked as a blacksmith. The porch of the old house where he lived and brought up his family is still standing. Mr. Robbins is a wheelwright by trade, and has a shop at Harwich center. He was married in 1852, to Emily Frances Chism (deceased), of Maine, daughter of Theodore Chism. They had three children: Charles Burlich, Caroline Avesta and Harriet Victoria; and one grandchild: Emmie I?. Robbins.
Henry C. Robbins, born in 1820, is a son of Henry and Priscilla (Baker') Robbins, and grandson of Henry and Elizabeth (Crowell) Robbins. He was a mariner from 1831 to 1876, and master thirty-three years. Since 1877 he has been a grocery merchant at West Harwich. He was married, in 1866, to Sarah K., daughter of Sylvester and Sarah (Kelley) Chase, granddaughter of James, and great-granddaughter of Job Chase. By a former marriage Mr. Robbins had three sons: Edwin M., Theodore P. and Cyrus C.
Joseph K. Robbins, son of Nathaniel and Huldah Robbins, was born in 1853. Nathaniel Robbins was a seafaring man in his early life, and later he devoted his time to cranberry culture and mercantile trade. He died in December, 1888, aged eighty-one years. Joseph K. now occupies his father's homestead, and is engaged in cranberry culture.
He was married in 1876, to Helen C. Paine. The) have one son, Stanley C.
Simeon K. Sears, born in 1851, is a son of Benjamin, and grandson of Lot Sears. His mother was Phebe W., daughter of Simeon and Paulina (Snow) Kendrick. Mr. Sears began going '-0 sea at the age of nine years, continuing until 1871. He was clerk one year in a store at West Harwich, and five years in a dry goods house in Boston. He was married in 1874, to Clara A., daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Doane) Ellis. They have two children: Benjamin and Clara P.
Philip N. Small, born in 1813, is a son of Lovell, and grandson of Benjamin Small. His mother was Tamar, daughter of Philip Nickerson. Mr. Small went to sea from 1827 to 1846, after which he learned the trade of a shoemaker, and for the last thirty years he has kept a boot and shoe store at Harwich Port. He was married in 1835, to Mary Y., daughter of Elisha Eldridge, and granddaughter of Daniel Eldridge. Their children are: James F., Everett P., Rhoda T. and Patience E.
Samuel Small, born in 1835, is the only surviving child of Samuel and Julia (Cahoon) Small, grandson of James, and great-grandson of Benjamin Small. His mother, Julia, was a daughter of James, and granddaughter of James Cahoon. Her mother was Lettice, daughter of Richard Bassett. James Small married Anna, daughter of Rev. Samuel Nickerson, a Baptist preacher, of New Jersey, who at one time filled a pulpit in the eastern part of Harwich. Samuel Small was a merchant and insurance agent at South Harwich for a number of years, and for the last three years he has devoted all his time to the insurance business. He was married in 1852, to Mary B., daughter of Eldredge Small, who was a son of Eli, and grandson of Benjamin Small. They have four children: Samuel N., John F., Julia C. and Winnie B.
Samuel N. Small, son of Samuel and Mary B. Small, was born in 1853, and is an architect and designer of furniture in Boston. He was married in 1875, to Mary O. Nickerson. She died, leaving two children: Leon C. and Susan B.
John F. Small, the other son, was born in 1858. He is an architect and designer of furniture in Boston. He was married in 1885, to Maria L., daughter of George W. and Helena (Nickerson) Eldridge. They have one daughter, Helena.
Zebina H. Small, whose busy and varied life in the prosperity of his native town came to an end September 22, 1882, proved his devotion to duty by the faithful discharge of every trust committed to his hands. His father, Benjamin, a son of Benjamin Small, was born and lived in Harwich, rearing five children, of whom Zebina H. was
the youngest, born April 2, 1798. At the tender age of eight years he went to sea, which business he followed more or less for forty years, retiring in 1845. At the age of nineteen he was master in a foreign commerce, and after the year IS33 was engaged mostly along the American coast, closing his seafaring life as master of the last vessel he had built for his own use—the Emulous.
He was married February 24, 1820, to Ruth A. Nickerson, daughter of Ebenezer Nickerson, and they reared seven children, of whom sketches are given in the succeeding paragraphs.
Charlotte, born March 27, 1822, grew to womanhood, and in 1843 married Cyrus W. Carver, a son of Phineas and Phœba (Weeks) Carver. Mr. Carver died in 1849, and his wife died April 28, 1853. They had two daughters, Henrietta and Charlotte, of whom the older, Henrietta, survives; and being the only survivor of this branch of the family, owns and occupies the home of her grandfather.
Zebina H. Small, jr., born May 29, 1824, was an efficient shipmaster at an early age. He married Anna S. Colesberry, but was not permitted to enjoy a long period of married life, for he was lost in the gulf stream—washed overboard in a gale—January 10, 1849.
Ruth N.,born May 29,1827, married Isaac H. Smith, son of Samuel Smith, in 1850. Mr. Smith has been a successful mariner most of his life. They have had two daughters: Ruthie S., who survives, and another who died in infancy.
Amelia S., born January 22, 1830, married Benjamin F. Bee of Harwich, and of their three children two survive: Benjamin F., jr., and Amelia S.
Benjamin F., born April 6, 1832, grew to manhood, married Augusta C. Post, and died June 1, 1882, leaving, besides his widow, three children: Charlotte A., Benjamin F. and Ruth N.
Harvey C., born October 15, 1840, died when three months old.
Emulous, born December 20, 1834, in Harwich Port, married November 12, 1856, Irene T., daughter of Valentine Doane. He was for twenty years largely interested in mercantile business near his residence; retiring in 1876, he has since turned his attention to cranberry culture. He is also a director of the Cape Cod National Bank.
Zebina H. Small, deceased, father of the above named children, was a representative man, and his pure executive ability was often called into action in the settlement of difficult arbitrations. He was a director in the Cape Cod National Bank from its inception to the close of his life, and the board of which he was a member, and who perhaps knew him best, speak highly of his upright business qualifications. His enterprise is marked by the fact that in 1845 he sold his vessel and commenced preparing a cranberry bog, placing him among the first at Harwich in this industry. In his life journey of
over four score years he left many footprints on the sands of time for the benefit of future generations.
Henry Smalley, born in 1842, is a son of Edward and grandson of Edward Smalley. His mother was Barbara, daughter of Ebenezer Weeks. Mr. Smalley enlisted in the war of the rebellion, in 1861, in Company A., Thirty-ninth Massachusetts Volunteers, serving until the close of the war. He has been cashier of the freight department of the Boston & Lowell railroad since 1866. He was married in 1870, to Ellen A., daughter of Simon Jones. They have one daughter— Nellie E.—two children having died—Henry and Catharine M.
Freeman Smith, born in 1830, in Orleans, is a son of James and Abigail (Robbins) and grandson of Isaac Smith. He is a carpenter by trade, and has lived in Harwich since 1852. He was married in 1853 to Rebecca H., daughter of William Allen.
Alexander F. Snow, born in 1842, is a son of Thomas Snow, who came from Fredericksburgh, Va., to Harwich. Mr. Snow has been a master mariner since he was twenty-three years old. He was married in 1863 to Mary F., daughter of Judah and granddaughter of Judah Berry.
Augustus C. Snow, 2d, born in 1849, is a son of Hiram7 and grandson of Osborn Snow. His mother was Sally C. Rogers. Mr. Snow entered the Cape Cod National Bank as clerk in 1864, and for the last twenty years he has been assistant cashier. He has been treasurer of the Cape Cod Five Cent Savings Ban1 since 1882. He was married in 1872 to Dora M. Sears. They have one son, Ralph H.
Rev. Charles A. Snow was born in Providence, R. I., May 12, 1829, and was one of a family of thirteen children. His father was a carpenter by trade and in too poor circumstances to give any of his children a liberal education. They enjoyed, however, the advantages of the common schools. Charles, after graduating from the high school in Providence, entered the commission house of J. C. Peckham & Co.. in that city, where he remained nearly a year. But since his conversion, which had occurred a year or two before, he had felt a restless desire for a liberal education, by which he might become fitted for the ministry of the Gospel, to which he believed himself specially called. With this end in view he devoted his evening and early morning hours to earnest study. His employers becoming interested in his purpose, showed their substantial sympathy, by releasing him from his engagement, and by the present of a small sum of money. Aside from this kindly aid, he was thereafter thrown almost wholly upon his own resources. By close economy and the enduring of many privations, he was able to work his way through Brown University and Newton Theological Seminary, graduating from the latter institution June 30, 1858. A call to become pastor of the
Temple church in Fall River had been previously received, and he was ordained July 7th. He remained in their service six and one-half years. During this period, by leave of absence from the church, he served as chaplain in the army in 1862-3, in connection with the Third Massachusetts Volunteers. Leaving Fall River in November, 1864, he became pastor of the Stewart Street Baptist church in Providence, remaining there about six years. Other pastorates have been held in South Abington (now Whitman) New Bedford (North church) and Fall River (Third church). He came to West Harwich in April, 1886, under circumstances which plainly indicated that the hand of Divine Providence had opened the door for him to enter this important field.
Elisha Snow was born in 1810. He is a son of Elisha and Betsey (Wing) Snow, and grandson of Elisha Snow. His father was born in 1778, and lived to be ninety-five years old. Mr. Snow went to sea from 1822 to 1868, and was master mariner thirty-four years. He was married in 1835 to Didama, daughter of Deacon Joseph Kelley. They have two daughters: Louise B., wife of Amos Crowell; and Annette, wife of Captain Thomas L. Snow, son of James Snow of Dresden, Me.
Elijah L. Stokes, born in 1850, is a son of Elijah and Hannah C. (Small) Stokes, the latter a daughter of Jonathan and Mercy (Phillips) Small. Mr. Stokes was married in 1874 to Augusta, daughter of Elisha Doane. Their children are: Arabella H., Elijah L., jr., Wilber E. and Lura A.
Barnabas Taylor, born in 1832, was the only- son of Barnabas Taylor, who died in New Orleans in 1832. His mother was Deborah, daughter of Barnabas Ellis. Mr. Taylor was in the stage and express business from 1856 to his death, January 27, 1890, when he was succeeded by his son Barnabas. He was married in 1855 to Jane, daughter of Gamaliel Cahoon. They had eight children: Wallace B., Barnabas, jr., Elmer E., Charles H., Herbert L., Ida B., Ella J. and Winnie B.
John B. Tuttle, born in 1824, in Haverhill, Mass., is a son of Jesse Tuttle, who was born in New Hampshire, and a grandson of Simeon Tuttle. Mr. Tuttle came to South Harwich in 1849, where he was for several years engaged in the fish business with his brother Jesse. In December, 1863, he enlisted in Company A, Fifty-eighth Massachusetts Volunteers, and served until the close of the war. He kept the lighthouse at Monomoy point ten years, and since that time has been engaged in the manufacture of cranberry barrels. He was married in 1847, to Olive B. Duston, who died leaving one son, William T. He married, second, Mrs. Love C. Jones, who died leaving one daughter, Sarah J. He married, third, in 1882, Eunice, daughter of Samuel Moody.
William H. Underwood was born in 1822. He is the eldest son of Nathan, who was the eldest son of Rev. Nathan, who was seven years in the war of the revolution. He came to Harwich in 1792. He was a son of Joseph and Eunice (Smith) Underwood. Mr. Underwood's mother was Rebecca Bray. He was nine years town clerk, and from 1880 to 1886 he was county treasurer. He has been for seventeen years an officer of the Cape Cod Five Cents Savings Bank. He was married in 1845 to Almira Baker. Their children are: Rebecca B., Joseph, Elizabeth, William H., jr., Alice, Almira B., Franklin D. and Susan L.
Jeremiah Walker, son of Marshal and Rebecca (Burgess) Walker, and grandson of Jeremiah Walker, was born in 1824. He followed the sea from 1835 to 1867. He was married in 184s to Sarepta, daughter of Josiah Nickerson. They have one daughter, Eucelia M., married to William Bourne.
Darius F. Weekes8, born in 1833, is the eldest son of Darius Weekes7 (Ebenezer8, Ammie15, Rev. George4, Ammiel3, Ammiel2, George Weekes1). His mother was Priscilla, daughter of James Long, Mr. Weekes followed the sea from 1846 to 1868, after which he was nine years in the store and fishing business at South Harwich. He has been deputy sheriff since January, 1887. He was married in 1855, to Rhoda T., daughter of Phillip N. Small. They have two children living: Sarah P. and Charles H. Their daughter Lettie L., died in 1873, aged thirteen years; and Rosetta W. died in 1865, aged eighteen months.
Ebenezer Weekes, 2d, born in 1853, is a son of Benjamin F.7 (Ebenezer6, Ammiel5, Rev. George Weekes4). His mother was Louisa, daughter of Alexander Nickerson. Mr. Weekes was engaged in the fishing business until 1880, since which time he has carried on a butter, lard and cheese business at Harwich Port.
Rev. George Weekes4 was born in Dorchester in 1689, and in 1714 he came to Harwich. His son Ammiel was the father of Ebenezer, whose youngest son, Benjamin F., was the father of Alphonso, who married Mary C. Burgess. Their only son is Alphonso L. Weekes, who was born October 3, 1860, and married Nellie F. Snow in 1882. They have one son, George Leroy Weekes.
William S. Willson, son of Hubbard Willson, was born in 1850 in Lowell, Mass. He has been in a livery stable at Brockton, Mass., since 1884. He bought a residence in Harwich Port in 1887, where he has lived since that time. He was married in 1878, to Zella B., daughter of James and Marinda (Smith) Berry. Their children are: Minnie S., Hubbard, William S,, jr., and Harold.
Mulford Young, born in 1821, is the only surviving child of Mulford and Betsey (Young) Young, grandson of John, whose father,
Prince, was a son of John Young. Mr. Young began keeping a small store at East Harwich in 1851. He has continued to increase the business until he now has a general country store, beside a large stock of furniture and house furnishing goods. He was married in 1858, to Eliza A., daughter of Samuel Holmes. She died two years later. He. married again in 1865, to Mrs. Emily Baker, daughter of Henry Kelley. Their children are: Harry M., Sparrow M., Eglantine F., Mary H. and Betsey I.